The local butchery is usually the best place to obtain fresh cuts of beef. Many Australians love beef and beef-based products. But, not many of them are aware of the different cuts of this variety of meat. It is worth mentioning that the taste and texture of a piece of beef will vary based on the part of the cow it comes from.
An Overview of the Various Cuts of Beef
The cuts of beef that meat wholesalers will typically provide include:
- The Chuck: This comes from the shoulder and the neck area of the cow. This cut will be slightly tough. But, it will have a great flavour. People usually braise the chuck or cook it slowly with a crock pot.
- The Rump (or Round): This is a lean cut of meat, with little fat. Located at the back of the cow, near the rear leg, this cut is good for roasting or braising with low levels of moisture.
- The Brisket: This comes from the breast or the lower portion of the cow. It can be quite tough. This is why many people smoke or braise it.
- The Ribs: This is one of the finest cuts of a cow. It is juicy and tender. Cook the ribs over dry heat for the best results.
- The Short Plate: This comes from the front belly of the cow, beneath the ribs. It is fatty and tough because it contains a lot of cartilage. This is why people usually braise this cut.
- The Flank: This denotes a long, flat cut from the abdominal muscles of the cow. Braising this cut yields the best results because of its toughness.
Are You Looking for an Established and Reputed Free Range Butcher in NSW?
At Campisi’s Continental Butchery, you can rest assured about the quality of your purchase. A family owned and operated business, we offer a diverse selection of all kinds of meats. We provide over 100 different kinds of high-quality cuts of meats. At our butchery, you will find a large range of contemporary Australian cuts of meat. In addition, you will be able to purchase traditional Italian cuts of meat too. Besides this, we stock home-styled Southern Italian salumi plates, we can supply those too. From cured meats to various cuts of beef, we have it all. Check out our diverse range of meats here.