- 4 x 180g scotch fillet steaks, fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon plus extra wedges, to serve
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 x 250g packets microwave brown rice & quinoa
- 1 tablespoon caramelised balsamic vinegar
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 80g goats cheese, crumbled
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
35 Mins Prep, 10 Mins Cook
Cut a few slits in eggplant and place directly over a gas flame using tongs (see tip if you don’t have a gas flame). Cook for 10 minutes, rotating every few minutes as the skin chars and eggplant softens. Place on a tray and slice in half lengthways. Scoop flesh into a sieve set over a bowl and allow to drain for 20 minutes.
Preheat a char-grill pan or barbecue to high. Brush steaks lightly with half the oil, season then sprinkle oregano, cumin, fennel and lemon zest over steaks. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked to your liking, brushing steaks with half the lemon juice while cooking to prevent spice rub burning. Remove steaks from heat, loosely cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare quinoa and rice according to packet instructions. Place in a large bowl. Finely chop drained eggplant and add to bowl with remaining oil, balsamic vinegar and remaining lemon juice, stirring until combined. Stir through tomato, cucumber, coriander, goats cheese and half the pomegranate seeds. Season and top with remaining pomegranate seeds.
Serve steaks with eggplant quinoa salad and lemon wedges.
Recipe Source: www.taste.com.au