Relishing a well-prepared meat-based dish can be a delight like no other. Beef refers to the meat that comes from cows and bulls. Despite coming from the same animal, each cut of beef has different characteristics. Butchers often differentiate between cuts of beef based on the flavour, tenderness and toughness of the cut.
A Guide to the Various Cuts of Beef
During the lifetime of the animal, each part of the animal’s body will develop differently based on the amount of work that specific part does. As such, each type of cut will have varying levels of fat, muscle and connective tissues. Thus, the parts of the body that work the hardest will feature higher levels of fibre and sinew. Some of the most common cuts include:
- The Chuck and Blade: This cut is tenderer than stewing steak. It is ideal for use in stews and for braising.
- The Fore Rib: This cut features good marbling throughout the flesh. It has a superb fat cover on the outside, which makes it ideal for roasting.
- The Sirloin: This prime cut is ideal for frying, grilling and barbecuing. The beef fillet comes from this section too. It is the best cut of beef because it is tender and very lean.
- The Rump: This cut is not as tender as the fillet or sirloin. But, despite being cheaper than those cuts, it offers a far superior flavour.
- The Silverside and Topside: Both these cuts are very lean. This makes them suitable for cutting into steaks for frying and grilling.
- The Flanks: The thick flank is good for slow roasting. The think flank features ample fat marbling, which makes it moist and flavourful. Both are good for frying.
Campisi’s Continental Butchery – The Meat Wholesalers Par Excellence in NSW
Whether you need the best cuts of beef or veal, simply shop at Campisi’s Continental Butchery. With us, you’ll only find the finest and the freshest products on the market. Unlike other butcheries, we only source our products from the leading breeders and suppliers. These professionals give us access to their prime stock. Because of this, we only offer the most superior products on the market. From beef to veal and from lamb to goat, we can offer you a diverse range of meat and meat-based products at our facility. To know more, call us at (02) 9826 6122.